A Class A drug, Heroin is one of the most used drugs in the United Kingdom.
Though many individuals believe that using Heroin is harmless, addictions arise when Heroin is consumed over a prolonged period.
Providing instant pain relief, a sense of calmness and euphoria , Heroin users are known to chase the highs that the drug offers. However, the high Heroin offers lasts for approximately one hour .
As the short-term effects of Heroin wear off, cravings are experienced. When succumbed to, the brain associates pleasurable sensations with Heroin, leaving many struggling with addictions.
Get In Touch
Are you suffering from Heroin Addiction and need help? Addiction Advocates are leading UK based experts in Heroin Addiction and Rehabilitation Treatment. Find out how we can help by getting in touch with our friendly team today.
Heroin Use In The United Kingdom
Heroin addictions, like many other addictions, can impact almost anyone. Though many believe that addictions only impair those that fit the stereotypical view of an addict, this is not true.
Below, we have outlined several Heroin facts and statistics surrounding Heroin use in the United Kingdom.
- People between the ages of 15 and 64 admit to using Heroin at least once in their lifetime. 
- More than 261,000 adults use and abuse Heroin each year in the United Kingdom. 
- Studies show that 75% of Heroin users simultaneously struggle with mental health disorders  such as depression, anxiety, stress, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Heroin poisoning  has contributed to the number of Heroin deaths recorded since 2012.
- According to research gathered by Public Health England , Heroin sees more people secure addiction treatment than any other drug.
When an addiction to Heroin arises, treatment must be secured as soon as possible. Not only does addiction treatment increase recovery rates, but it ensures that a reduced number of lives are lost to addiction.
The Dangers Of Using Heroin
The National Institute on Drug Abuse  confirms that one of the many dangers of using Heroin is that people living with addictions struggle with other health problems that significantly affect the quality of life. These include heart disease, cancer, and mental health problems.
While these problems are commonly associated with Heroin addictions, there are many other dangers and risks of using Heroin.
Other health complications and dangers of using Heroin include:
- Impaired cognitive function
- Organ failure
- Collapsed Veins
- Weakened immune system
- Co-occurring addictions
Using Heroin also impacts the wider community. This is because those who use and abuse Heroin will often participate in anti-social behaviour and crime. Each year, drug-related crime is thought to cost the nation £2.5 billion a year.
Heroin and Other Drugs
A large proportion of individual’s who use and abuse Heroin are thought to use at least one other drug . Though extremely dangerous and often deadly, mixing Heroin with other drugs increases the euphoric sensations provided and prolongs the high experience.
If Heroin is consumed alongside other drugs, dual diagnosis treatment will be required when Heroin addiction treatment is sought. This particular treatment simultaneously ensures that substance addictions can be overcome.
Heroin Treatment Facts and Statistics
When Heroin addictions arise, professional treatment must be sought. Across the United Kingdom, Heroin addiction treatment providers include NHS rehabs and private rehabs. However, only 52% of people in need of treatment contact a rehab. 
While the overall aim of Heroin addiction treatment remains the same irrespective of whether NHS or private treatment is secured, the treatment provided greatly differs.
To provide insight into the treatment available for Heroin addictions, we have shared many Heroin treatment facts and statistics below.
The NHS provides two different treatments for Heroin addiction. These include maintenance therapy and detoxification.
Maintenance therapy sees an individual switch from Heroin to a suitable substitute . This treatment option is a long-term solution . Meanwhile, detoxification sees individuals withdraw from Heroin within three months.
NHS treatment is typically provided on an outpatient basis. Requiring less commitment, outpatient treatment helps many overcome their struggles with Heroin. However, treatment is not available immediately.
According to Public Health Scotland , 90% of people referred for Heroin addiction treatment wait for at least three weeks before they are approached to discuss their treatment options.
Private Heroin addiction treatment is administered across the country on a residential basis. Unlike NHS treatment, private Heroin addiction treatment equips individuals with a personalised treatment programme.
Treatments often encountered within a private rehabilitation centre include:
- Medically induced detoxification
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Dialectical behavioural therapy
- Bereavement counselling
- Stress management
- Therapeutic therapies
- Sleep management
- Relapse prevention
Catering wholly to an individual’s addiction and recovery needs, private rehab treatment has enabled at least 60% of people to make a long-term recovery.
Though the treatments noted above contribute to Heroin addiction recovery, adequate relapse prevention and aftercare support must be supplied to ensure that those who have completed Heroin addiction treatment can maintain their recovery.
Contact Us Today
To find out more about Heroin facts and statistics and addiction treatment, please contact us today.
Our admissions team can provide a wealth of information and ensure that all questions are answered.
To refer yourself to a suitable rehab for Heroin addiction treatment, our team can additionally support you in making a referral.
Frequently Asked Questions
-  instant pain relief, a sense of calmness and euphoria - https://www.verywellmind.com/what-heroin-effects-feel-like-22047
-  one hour - https://www.talktofrank.com/drug/heroin#duration
-  People between the ages of 15 and 64 admit to using Heroin at least once in their lifetime. - https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/opioid-overdose
-  More than 261,000 adults use and abuse Heroin each year in the United Kingdom. - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/882953/Review_of_Drugs_Evidence_Pack.pdf
-  75% of Heroin users simultaneously struggle with mental health disorders - https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/heroin-use
-  Heroin poisoning - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsrelatedtodrugpoisoninginenglandandwales/2018registrations
-  Public Health England - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-drug-situation-focal-point-annual-report/uk-drug-situation-2019-summary
-  The National Institute on Drug Abuse - https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/addiction-health
-  A large proportion of individual’s who use and abuse Heroin are thought to use at least one other drug - https://drugpolicy.org/drug-facts/mixing-heroin-alcohol-drugs
-  only 52% of people in need of treatment contact a rehab. - https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/statistics-on-drug-misuse/2019/part-3-drug-use-among-adults#adults-in-treatment-for-substance-misuse
-  Maintenance therapy sees an individual switch from Heroin to a suitable substitute - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/heroin-get-help/
-  long-term solution - https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methadone/
-  Public Health Scotland - https://www.opendata.nhs.scot/id/dataset/drug-and-alcohol-treatment-waiting-times
What do our previous clients think?
Really enjoyed my time at Asana lodge. Staff are great and most have previous experience of the afflictions that affect all the clients, so they can relate to the situation you are in. I feel ready now to tackle the outside world with all the skills I have learnt.
Thank you to all the staff at asana lodge from management to the cleaners, everyone made me feel so welcome and really went above and beyond to help me in my recovery. highly recommend anyone seeking help with addiction depression and anxiety to go to asana lodge and heal your mind body and soul.
Everyone at Cassiobury court have been very supportive with my recovery and I have learnt a lot over the past 14 days. I am taking away some good tools to help me with my addiction. I look forward to seeing the piers at the aftercare service.
I came to you desperate, feeling so depressed and anxious. I left feeling hopeful and grateful and excited about life. I can't believe the change in just 28 days.
Addiction and especially alcohol addiction, is a complex thing. It is a unique experience for each person struggling with excessive
If you’re suffering with a drug or alcohol addiction, you may find that your addictive behaviours cross over into other
If you feel like no-one is listening to you, or you’re not able to express what you want to say
The answer to the question “Will drinking alcohol make you gain weight?”, isn’t as straightforward as you may think. Alcohol
How We HelpFinding the right treatment for your addiction can be difficult this is why we have created a service which takes the stress away which can be a massive relief when dealing with an addiction.
Self ReferralsSuffering with an addiction and being alone can be a horrific scenario for many. Whether you have a drug or alcohol addiction, we're here to help.
Family ReferralsDo you have concerns that a loved one may be affected by substance misuse? Have you spotted any signs and symptoms of a drug and alcohol…
Friend ReferralsAre you worried that a friend’s alcohol or drug consumption has become out of control? For many individuals, substance abuse starts unintentionally…
What We Offer
This is done to assess what sort of help is needed so we can recommend an addiction treatment service that can provide the best help possible.
All calls are strictly confidential and are carried out by a trained healthcare professional.
No obligation recommendations are made after a full assessment of yourself or loved ones situation is fully made.
Recommendations include specialist addiction treatment programmes in CQC regulated facilities based throughout the UK.
If you are unable to afford private treatment then public healthcare and charities would also be recommended to you.
How We Support You
We have a large number of helpful services available to help give you the best possible support when it comes to dealing with addiction.
Just some of the services we can offer includes:
- Free confidential telephone assessment
- Recommending CQC regulated residential addiction treatment providers
- Arranging for an intervention, if needed
- Insights into how different therapies and evidence based treatments work
- How detoxification works and what is the most safest option
- What type of rehab and detox programmes would be best suited for yourself or loved one
- Recommendations of the best providers in your area
Why Choose Us?
We can help take the stress out of finding an addiction treatment provider by recommending only the best options available that fully suits your criteria.
The help and advice we can provide includes making sure that your journey towards recovery is one that can definitely be achieved.
Taking the step towards recovery can be incredibly tough but we are here to put your concerns at ease by giving you insights into the safety of undertaking residential addiction treatment and how it can put you on the path towards long lasting recovery from addiction.
Our team of advisors have extensive experience and knowledge about the subject of addiction and the treatment provided so if you have any questions then they will be more than happy to help.
Get started today by calling our friendly team today on 0800 012 6088.